"Who is the Lord that I should obey his voice?"
Exodus 5 v 2
The above is the response of Pharoah to God's word through Moses and Aaron. It is the response of so many people to the word of God. Who is the Lord then, He is the living God the maker, creator of all things. God is the sovereign ruler over all He has created.
- He is the Lord who speaks, revealing His power, wisdom and majesty in His creation.
- He speaks in the way He providentially supplies the needs of mankind.
- He speaks by His various acts of judgement in this world.
- He speaks in the bible which is God's word to us.
- He speaks through His Son who became man, the Lord Jesus Christ.
Why should you pay attention to what He says? It's because He is God your creator and has the authority to give us laws to live by. The commands He gives are for the good and eternal welfare of mankind. When God speaks we should pay attention and believe and obey what He says. Refusing to listen to what God says to us is such contempt for God, rebellion against His authority.
The good news from God that there is salvation, forgiveness for disobeying Him, this is not something we can take or leave, It is what God commands, "God now commandeth all men everywhere to repent" (Acts 17 v 30), "This is His commandment that we should believe on the name of His Son, Jesus Christ" (1 John 3 v 23).
The response of many is that they are not going to listen to and do what God commands. To be like Pharoah, I don't know and will not obey God will cause your eternal ruin, "Taking vengeance on them that know not God, and obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Thessalonians 1 v 8).